Thursday, February 12, 2009

The boy recon! (tutorial)

How to make a man's t-shirt into a boy's t-shirt.
This will also work on woman's shirts into girl's shirts, just fyi.

I decided it was about time for a boy Recon :)

I found this (size Large) shirt at the CCA (thrift shop)

This is the original t-shirt
P2111446

Cut the sleeves off as close to the seam as possible
P2111449

Cut along side seams and shoulder seams as close to the seam as possible.
P2111450

Take a RTW shirt in the size that fits your child, flip it inside out while leaving the sleeves tucked in. Line up the top neckline with the neckline of the FRONT PANEL of the large shirt
P2111451

cut out the front panel around the RTW shirt, to make the front panel of your child's shirt.
P2111452

Line up the neckline of it with the neckline of the back panel of the large shirt. Cut out the same shape using the front panel of the small shirt as a template.
P2111454

Flip your RTW shirt right side out and line up the cuff of the sleeve with the cuff of the Large-Shirt sleeve that you set aside. You are going to use the RTW shirt as a template to trim the large sleeve down to size.
P2111455

Line the sleeve up underneath the new shirt panels. You want to be sure the sleeve length/drop is appropriate for the style of the shirt.
P2111458

Trim the shoulder part of the sleeve to the same shape as the armhole of the shirt.
P2111459

Flip your sleeves and shirt panels all so they are right-sides-together. Serge up the underside of the sleeves, the shoulder seam of the shirt panels and the side seams of the shirt panels.
P2121460

serge sleeves onto bodice of shirt
P2121463

flip right side out, hem bottom, and it's read to wear! :)
P2121464

P2121465

4 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Oh that is so punk! I love it!!!

Karen said...

Great tutorial!

And by the way, I found you via Tip Junkie. :)

Erika said...

This is great! I think I will raid my husbands closet and make some for my son!

Momma said...

This is such fun! I just remade one for my son. The only problem I had was that the neck came out too small. I'm not sure how to remedy that. Any tips?

I'm getting ready to recon a shirt into a dress for my daughter also. This is great!

P.S.- I found you through Tip Junkie as well.